We use cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Find out more about our cookies. Learn more

I understand

When working in this job sector, it is important to understand what they do exactly and what qualifications you need as SEN students require specialist help. SEN teachers provide special support for students with behavioural, emotional, physical, mental or learning disabilities at mainstream and SEN schools. Some children you work with may have autism, dyslexia, sensory impairment, speech/language difficulties, and you may work with talented and gifted children.

As a special education needs teacher, you will work alongside other professionals to create appropriate lesson plans and activities based on their abilities that allow SEN students to progress and reach their individual goals. You are there to assist them with improving their social and academic skills in a safe and stimulating environment.

What skills do you need?

  • Patience and understanding: their reactions may differ from other students, you need to be sensitive when fixing the issue at hand
  • Flexible and ability to adapt to situations you may not have planned
  • Be calm: some students may get distressed easily, it is up to you to reassure them and manage their behaviour
  • Communication: not only will you have to communicate well with students but with their parents and liaise with other professionals in your school
  • Organisation to prepare lessons and activities

What are the qualifications I need?

Unlike other jobs in this industry, to become an SEN teacher, you need full teaching qualifications such as:

  • University undergraduate course that leads to a Qualified Teaching Status (QTS)
    • Bachelor of Education (BEd)
    • Bachelor of Arts (BA) with QTS
    • Bachelor of Science (BSc) with QTS
  • Apprenticeship - postgraduate
    • After receiving an undergraduate degree, you have the option to do a postgraduate teaching apprenticeships
  • Working towards this role
    • You can choose to do a part-time degree whilst working
    • Volunteering is another great way to get some real experience!
  • Applying directly
    • If you are already a qualified teacher, many schools and other establishments will offer courses and extra training to develop your skill to work with SEN students.

As you will be working with children with special needs, you will also require an enhanced background check.

Are you looking for a career within Special Needs? Caring Services have strong links with Schools and Respite Centres around Liverpool and can find you placements with SEN children on a short or long term basis. Many SEN Teacher jobs will lead to permanent positions. Some jobs are short term and can suit those looking for experience to lead on to other permanent roles. Caring Services have SEN Teacher positions within Early Years, Primary and Secondary settings.

In addition, many of our Teaching Assistant Jobs are with SEN children within special and mainstream settings. Ideally we are looking for staff with previous experience with children with Special Educational Needs and children with physical disabilities and learning disabilities. We are always looking for excellent candidates to join our team, contact us today!