Teaching Assistant/ LSA for Visually Impaired pupils
Job TitleTeaching Assistant/ LSA for Visually Impaired pupils
Job SectorEducation & SEN Support Staff
Job Salaryup to £10 (per hour)
Job TypeFull Time
Term of WorkTemporary
We urgently require a Teaching Assistant to provide direct support to sensory impaired pupils (under the direction of a Teacher of the Visual Impaired), in both Primary and Secondary Schools, in various locations within the Wirral. The LSA may be required to move from one school to the other during lunch time.
Start imminent, 36 hours per week, Monday to Friday (term time only but there are extra hours available during half terms). Hours will be split between supporting various students within the classroom as well as office based; to support the local authority’s policy of inclusion by enabling sensory impaired pupils to have equal access to the learning environment by appropriate/ adequate resourcing.
- 1:1 or small group support - to break down instructions into small steps ensuring all information is understood
- Keeping pupils on task
- Keeping daily records/ completing support plans when necessary
- Work with a group of pupils to release the teacher to work with the visually impaired child
- Use of additional/visual materials/activities to facilitate the pupil’s understanding
- Ensuring safety and mobility according to Health and Safety Regulations
- Resourcing and adaptation of materials for visually impaired pupils
- Motivate and encourage pupil's either individually or within group
- Ensure child has access to information, understands new concepts and vocabulary
- Establish supportive relationship with pupil
- Basic audiological knowledge i.e. check hearing instruments/FM systems
- Basic knowledge of the effects of visual impairment in the classroom
- Support child in using any low vision aids provided for use in school
- To give feedback/information regarding needs and progress of hearing or visually impaired pupil
Due to the nature of the job the successful candidate must be a car driver and have access to their own vehicle (to drive from one school to the next).
The successful candidate must be able to produce relevant references and be subject to a DBS check.